the gapanese invasion is nigh!

"pinakamaganda ka nga sa buong kapuluan, pero latina na naman ang magwawagi ng korona at sash sa miss world! racism ba ito? lupasay!"

Saturday, April 08, 2006

southbound


childhood memories spent in the big city crop up whenever i'm reminded of southern metro manila, which is always, given that the last three objects of my affection coincidentally reside there. joni lives in las pinas, where i studied in grade two and three. the university system admitted me, with scholarship to boot, on the strength of my superior performance in grade school mathematics examination. that was before i still had a brilliant career in math; i failed to catch up with math's increasing complexity since grade six so more or less you have an idea why i later went on to become an english major. meanwhile, joni is a film major whom i met at school. i staggered at the screening of the closing film of the women's film festival at the university of the philippines film center, but to the dismay of most of the crowd, the scheduled film got corrupted. serendipity has other plans for my lovelife, so that must be the reason i stayed to watch a spanish-language film until an angelic-looking guy sat next to me. half of the theater was empty but the guy chose to beside me, so my hair elongated yet again till i had the courage to brush my elbow against his. no protest which could have hauled me in the up-diliman police station. i brazenly held his hand, and no protest still. i flashed a flirtatious smile and before i grew horns, the lights flicked on. end of the film but joni and i have just begun. armed with photocopies of study handouts, he walked side by side with me up till faraway philcoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment